something quick and healthy was on the agenda…and that didn’t require a trip to the store.
after some pinteresting and foodgawkering, i found a few recipes i like. i always try to find two-three and take what i like from each of them. and mind the time/measurements…i usually take from the other recipes…not good at keeping track of things and what i do
mac & cheese with broccoli & chicken
prep time: 20 min | total time: 40 min | serves: 4-6
what you need:
- box of macaroni (or whatever pasta you prefer)
- bag of Green Giant® (GMI PLUG!) frozen broccoli & cheese sauce
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup fat-free (skim) milk
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup Progresso® (hey, i worked there…) bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons shredded sharp cheddar cheese
get it done:
- Heat oven to 375°F. Spray 13×9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta, drain, and set aside.
- Cook the chicken. I diced it into small pieces then sauteed it with some butter and garlic til fully cooked.
- Also, cook broccoli & cheese sauce as directed on bag.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter, add some garlic and cook until the garlic is softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add onion powder, whisk in flour and milk, then cook until slightly thickened.
- Add the cheddar cheese and stir until melted in the mixture.
- Add cayenne, and any other seasoning as needed into the sauce.
- Stir cooked broccoli mixture, chicken, and cheese sauce into pasta in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle bread crumb mixture over top of pasta mixture, and any extra cheese you may want to add!
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes. Salt & pepper to taste.
note: this reheats well as leftovers! though matthew did eat about 4 bowls worth, don’t judge us – we didn’t eat the whole dish.