thank you for all the blog love and support! i get really excited about food and i’m glad others do too 🙂
i had a few requests for stuffed peppers yesterday in the office, so went for it! though matthew was not a fan of quinoa (oops), it’s a nice recipe and can be changed up pretty easily with the stuffing ingredients. it’s so pretty and colorful, and really filling! i served this with a bit of greens on the side, and some lemonade teas.
note: these reheat really well! 6 was too much for both of us, so we saved them for lunch the next day.
stuffed peppers with quinoa, chicken sausage & turkey, and greens
prep time: 20 min | total time: 40 min | serves: 4-6
what you need:
- 6-7 bell peppers of various colors
- 2-4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- pinch of cumin
- a couple links of sausage, casings removed (i used TJ’s chicken sausage)
- 1/2 lb ground turkey
- 1 zucchini squash
- handful of spinach
- 1/2 bag quinoa (you can use rice, couscous, whatever…)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- salt & pepper
get it done:
- preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- stick the quinoa (or whatever you choose) in the rice cooker
- in a pan, heat up some olive oil and garlic and throw the sausage in there for about 5-6 minutes or until begins browning
- add the turkey up in there, with salt, pepper, cumin
- while it’s cooking, chop the top off the bell peppers and remove the ribs & seeds
- remove meat and set aside
- chop up the zucchini and spinach and start cooking it in the pan with a bit more olive oil – cook for another 5 minutes
- add meat mixture back to the skillet and mix in half a can of tomato sauce, cheese, and the quinoa, remove from heat
- start stuffing those peppers!
- in an oven safe dish, place them in all standing up – and fill the bottom with the rest of the tomato sauce and water
- i put some more sauce and cheese over the tops of my peppers, and then baked for about 45 minutes uncovered