i wanted cream spinach, old southern steakhouse style, to go with my pork chops! this is a lighter of a version without the cream. (since i’m trying not to get fat with how much i eat!)
and, i’m testing out some good side dishes for our easter sunday menu.
adapted from gina’s skinny recipes.
prep time: 10 min | total time: 20 min | serves: 3-4
what you need:
- 2 tsp butter
- 1/2 cup shallots, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 cups fat free milk
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- salt, pepper, red pepper flakes to taste
- 4.4 oz Boursin Light (i used laughing cow cheese since i didn’t have this! tasted just as phenom)
- 16 oz bag frozen chopped spinach, thawed & drained
get it done:
- in a large pan, melt the butter and add shallots and garlic – cook on medium for about 5 minutes
- add flour and mix well, cooking for a minute
- reduce the heat to low and slowly add milk while whisking
- add parmesan, nutmeg, salt, pepper, and red pepper – mix well
- add boursin light (or laughing cow) and mix until smooth
- add the spinach and combine it well – cook until heated through
- add salt/pepper/red pepper as necessary
- serve with your favorite main dish!