i was planning on doing lamb for easter, but after more RSVPs than expected i realized i couldn’t afford it
so here’s a cheaper, easy dish to do for any potluck or gathering 🙂 or even a meal on a cold day.
stovetop pot roast
adapted from allrecipes
prep time: 30 min | total time: 5-6 hours (varies on meat) | serves: 7-10
note: i didn’t have room in the oven so we just had this on the stove all day, a crock pot would work too!
what you need:
- 1 (3 lb) beef roast
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic – minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 cup dry red wine
- olive oil
- some salt, pepper, cayenne to taste
- 2 cans beef broth
- 6-8 red potatoes, quartered
- 1 bag (6-8) carrots, cut into chunks
- marinate the steak in the mustard, garlic, soy, olive oil, cayenne, wine, salt, and pepper. try and set aside overnight. take out of fridge about 1 hour before cooking.
- heat oil in a pan over medium heat, brown the roast on all sides for about 3 minutes each side
- put in a large pot and add broth. if it isn’t covering the meat, add water until it’s covered and throw in onions
- bring to a boil then put it to lowest setting, cover and let it simmer for 2-3 hours, or more depending on size
- add potatoes, and then carrots in the last hour and half hour, adjust salt, pepper to taste
- take out when the meat is falling apart when poking it with a fork or tongs
- when done, allow it to sit for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- serve hot and with a side of horseradish cream!