mmmm this soup is oh, so tasty.
i’m guilty of being in love with olive garden’s soup, salad, and breadsticks. and here’s my version of one of their soups. like the recipe i adapted from, it’s lightened with half and half and a ton of kale (because i love kale). do what you must. light a fire, grab some wine, and enjoy this delicious, comforting soup!
adapted from gimme some oven.
time: 30-45 min | serves: 6
what you need:
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage
- olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5-6 Yukon Gold potatoes, washed and sliced 1/4″ thick
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 6 pieces bacon, cooked and chopped
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (or half and half, or whole milk)
- salt, pepper, red pepper flakes
get it done:
- crumble sausage into a pot; add the onion.
- cook and stir over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and set aside – repeat for bacon and drain the extra grease
- heat olive oil over medium high in a large pot
- add garlic & onions and cook for about 3 minutes
- add potatoes, chicken broth, water, sausage, and bacon
- simmer over medium heat for about 10-15 minutes
- add kale and continue to simmer for another 10-15 minutes until the potatoes have softened
- add cream (or half and half) and season with salt and peppers to taste. sprinkle parmesan cheese on top if you wish!