i dream of this dish from trudy’s down in austin:
now this is a doozy of a recipe and takes some time, and gets messy. if you have some shredded chicken beforehand, form the patties overnight so they hold.
this was my first attempt, and i’m not gonna lie we got pretty close to it. next time, won’t be so messy or take so long 🙂
it’s a gut buster, so be ready to eat. and eat a lot.
recipe adapted from food.com
total time: 2 hours | serves: 3-4
what you need:
- 2 lbs boneless chicken thighs
- 1 can rotel (i like it hot, obvi.)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 avocados
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 can green enchilada sauce
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- monterey jack cheese
- oil for frying (vegetable or canola)
get it done:
shred the chicken…
- combine the chicken, rotel, broth, and taco seasoning in a deep pan.
- heat to boiling, then cover and reduce heat.
- cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally and breaking up chicken to shred.
- after an hour, remove lid and continue to simmer and stir to shred chicken until all the liquid has cooked down.
- allow chicken mixture to cool completely (fridge overnight in patty shapes).
note: i use the leftover chicken in other recipes, there will be some leftover pending on your patty size.
- mash the avocados and put a coating on top of each patty. place in the freezer to harden for a few minutes.
- remove hardened patties from the freezer and turn over. Put a coating of mashed avocados on the other side of the patty.
- heat oil to medium high heat in a deep frying pan.
- carefully roll the avocado coated chicken patties in flour until well coated and try to shape them into perfectly round shapes.
- combine the egg and buttermilk in a bowl and whisk thoroughly.
- carefully dip or pat on buttermilk mixture onto the patties.
- dip the battered patties into the panko crumbs until coated completely.
- carefully place the breaded patties into the hot oil and fry both sides until golden brown (about 2 minutes or so per side, but keep an eye on them- they cook fast!). remove and transfer to a paper towel lined plate:
- combine the verde enchilada sauce and the sour cream thoroughly in a microwave safe bowl and heat for about 2 minutes, or until heated through.
- pour a generous amount of the verde sauce over the patties and top with shredded cheese. serve with mexican rice!