i’m trying to do some vegetarian recipes as requested, and this one looked too delicious NOT to try. and it is as good as it looks!
this was an immediate favorite in the house, and will definitely be making the dinner rotation.
i forgot the breadcrumbs because it smelled so good and i got excited …but next time!
my little kitchen helper loved the smell too! so let’s get to cookin’!
spinach artichoke pasta
adapted from the pioneer woman
total time: 30 min | serves: 5-6
what you need:
- 6 tbsp butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- spinach (2 bags)
- artichoke hearts (2 cans), drained & halved
- 3 tbsp flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 cup mozzarella or monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 12 oz penne, cooked
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- salt, pepper, cayenne, crushed red pepper to taste
- note: if you want to make this a meat dish, chicken works well. just cook some chicken in cubes before the veggies and set aside until you combine all the ingredients.
get it done:
- melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large pot or skillet over medium heat.
- add in garlic and cook spinach for about a minute. remove from heat and set aside.
- add 2 tablespoons butter into the same pot on high heat. stir in the artichokes for a couple minutes. remove and set aside as well.
- reduce the heat and add 2 more tablespoons butter to the pot.
- when it’s melted, sprinkle in the flour and whisk. pour in milk as well.
- let it cook for 3-4 minutes and let it start thickening.
- add cheese and seasoning and stir to melt. if it’s too think, add chicken broth.
- add pasta in and toss. do the same for artichokes and spinach and combine.
- add crushed red pepper flakes and breadcrumbs on top for crunch. serve immediately.