y’all. this is good.
and i never really liked chicken parm, but my man does so i needed to find a good recipe and this is easy and amazing. a definite add to the dinner rotation at my house.
light chicken parmesan
adapted from macaroni & cheesecake.
prep time: 10 min | total time: 25 min | serves: 3-4
what you need:
- 4 pieces of boneless chicken breasts
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 lg egg whites
- 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp water
- salt and pepper, cayenne, parsley
get it done:
- preheat oven to 475F.
- in a skillet, heat olive oil and toast breadcrumbs until golden brown (ab 10 min), stirring often
- remove from heat and place in a shallow bowl or dish and let it cool – once it cools, add parmesan
- in another bowl or dish, whisk flour, garlic powder, salt, pepper, cayenne
- in a third dish, whisk water and egg whites
- line a baking sheet with foil and spray cooking spray
- pat chicken dry with paper towels and dredge each piece in flour first, then egg whites, and finally breadcrumbs. make sure each piece is fully covered and place on baking sheet.
- bake about 15 minutes. while baking, heat up marinara in a sauce pan.
- remove and spoon marinara over each chicken and top with mozzarella. throw back in oven for 5 min or so until cheese is melted.
- add parsley, parmesan and additional marinara if desired. serve over spaghetti!