so i’ve been trying a few creamy alfredo-type sauces. this one, i used with chicken and pasta, contained cream cheese. didn’t have any on hand so went with another light recipe, one with greek yogurt!
both are great and easy, healthy and light.
the beauty of this dish is you can use whatever pasta you have on hand, any veggies you want to get rid of, and meat of your choice. right now, i’m obsessed with chicken sausage. trader joe’s has great chicken sausage with jalapeno, and whole foods or mariano’s has fresh sausage with feta and spinach that is also awesome.
chicken sausage and asparagus alfredo
this is adapted from iowa girl eats.
total time: 25 min | serves: 4
what you need:
- 1 chicken sausage link, casing removed (or whatever meat)
- a handful of asparagus (or veggies of your choice)
- 8oz rotini or what you have on hand
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup milk (any kind)
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- olive oil, salt, pepper, cayenne
get it done:
- boil a pot of water and cook pasta according to package directions
- if you have any veggies that need to be cooked, toss in towards the end with the pasta and water about 3-4 minutes before pasta will be fully cooked
- if you are cooking any meat, saute in a separate skillet with olive oil until fully cooked and add to sauce when complete
for the sauce:
- in a skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat
- add garlic and stir constantly until golden brown (ab 1 min)
- add flour and whisk while cooking for another minute
- slowly add in chicken broth and milk while whisking slowly
- add greek yogurt, salt, pepper, and a dash of cayenne
- turn down the heat to low and let it simmer until thickened – about 2-3 min
- turn heat off and stir in parmesan and then cooked meat
done with sauce?
- pour over cooked pasta, add the veggies, and stir – be sure to add any pasta cooking water to thin out the sauce if needed
- serve with a salad or warm bread! enjoy!