you know we like our mac and cheese! and on my kick to get in shape for dress and swimsuit season (if it ever comes) here’s a healthy and delicious vegetarian mac! i added chicken sausage, of course. but you cook that separately and it will be yummy with or without it! this mac recipe doesn’t have butter (what!) but still tastes good and light.
this is an easy mac to fill with whatever veggies you have on hand, and probably with ingredients you already have lying around.
roasted veggie mac
this is adapted from the comfort of cooking
prep time: 20 min | total time: 30 min | serves: 6 what you need:
- 1 box of whole wheat elbows (or penne or rigatoni or whatever you prefer)
- 1 lb chicken sausage (i use TJ’s jalapeno chicken sausage)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup cauliflower, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, sliced thin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- olive oil, salt, pepper, cayenne, red pepper flakes
get it done:
- preheat oven to 400F and also set a pot of salted water to boil
- grab a large baking sheet and line with foil and coat with a bit of olive oil or cooking spray
- toss veggies on the baking sheet with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes
- bake for 20 minutes or until veggies are softened – remove and set aside
- meanwhile, cook pasta, drain, and set aside
- cook meat and set aside as well
- in a skillet, heat oil over medium heat and add garlic to cook for about 30 seconds
- whisk in flour and cook for one minute
- gradually whisk in milk and stir constantly until thickened
- remove from heat and add cheese. stir until melted and evenly distributed and add seasonings to taste
- toss macaroni, veggies, and any meat into a casserole dish and stir in cheese and mix evenly
- top with breadcrumbs
- place in oven at 500 degrees for about 5 minutes or until top is browned
- bon appetit!
ps, this reheats well for lunch the next day!