well it’s summertime and we just got a new grill!
so besides the delay in posts, these will probably be picture-less until i remember to photograph them next time i make them 🙂 forgive me!
i also got a mandolin and it is perfect for summertime and making slaws. there’s always going to be some type of slaw in the fridge, so we topped these burgers with some leftover brussel sprout slaw from earlier in the week. YUM.
and what’s a mandolin? no, not the instrument, silly…a kitchen mandolin allows you to slice up anything super thin and super quick. i love it!
i also topped our burgers with some cholula mayo! easy enough – cholula + mayo until it’s pretty pink and a bit of lime juice.
prep time: 20 min | total time: 25 min | serves: 3-4 what you need:
- 1-1.5 lb ground turkey (makes roughly about 4 patties)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- garlic powder, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper
- 1 egg, beaten to mix
- hamburger buns (or go crazy with focaccia or pretzel buns or whatevs, i use the whole wheat buns from trader joes)
- 4 slices of cheddar cheese (or whatever you prefer)
- avocado, tomato, lettuce and any other condiments you prefer
for the slaw:
- a bag of brussel sprouts, trimmed and washed
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp mustard
- olive oil
- red wine vinegar
- soy sauce
- salt, pepper, sugar to taste
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- any apples or walnuts would be delicious in this too!
get it done:
- in a mixing bowl, combine the turkey, seasonings, fish sauce, breadcrumbs, egg, and breadcrumbs
- form into even patties and refrigerate for a bit until they are set
- before grilling, bring back to room temperature and brush each side with some oil so they don’t stick. (brush your grill grates too if you’re grilling) – you can also cook these in a pan over med high
- cook each side for 4-5 min depending on how thick the patties are. your grillmaster should know when they are done by testing how firm they are!
- butter up those buns and toast them on the grill quickly
- add the cheese with about 30 secs to a minute to go so the cheese melts as the patties finish
- assemble with toppings and enjoy!
- soak onion slices in a small bowl of cold water while you prep the rest of the ingrediencts
- trim all of the sprouts and shred on a mandolin or a very sharp knife. shred them one at a time.
- in a small bowl, whisk together the other ingredients except the cheese. (this is actually what i use for salad dressing a lot of the time.) add the olive oil last to emulsify the dressing and set aside.
- note: i don’t use measurements for this, just keep tasting and adding to your liking. if you like it saltier, sweeter, etc.
- combine all the ingredients and add any seasonings to taste. let the sprouts soak in the dressing for at least 15 minutes, but the longer the better!
- fold in the cheese when serving.