a comfort food favorite, that really isn’t too hard to make. and fun to say too…i always think of the seinfeld soup nazi episode.
i lightened this up with chicken breasts instead of thighs, chicken andouille sausage, brown rice, and a ton of veggies so it’s still nice and hearty. it’s a fun dish to play with because you can really add the heat and the flavors are insane.
make a lot, because this reheats well and work as awesome leftovers 🙂
adapted from candid appetite
prep time: 30 min | total time: 1 hour | serves: 5-6
what you need:
- 1 lb andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 lb chicken breast, in small cubes or chunks
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined – i cut mine in half too
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes or 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 6 cups chicken broth, low or reduced sodium
- 3 cups rice, rinsed
- oregano, bay leaves, thyme, scallions, parsley
- 1 lemon
- worchestire sauce
- salt, pepper, cayenne
get it done:
- this is a prep-heavy meal, so chop up everything before you get going.
- heat oil in a large pot and sauté sausage for 5-7 minutes until browned. remove and set aside.
- next, sauté the chicken in the same pot and brown on all sides. remove and set aside with sausage. (it’s ok if it isn’t cooked all the way it will continue to cook later)
- in the same pot, add butter and sauté the onion and garlic for another 5-7 minutes until softened
- add tomatoes and tomato paste, cayenne, herbs, and cook until all of the veggies and herbs are blended together
- add stock and bring it to a boil. stir in rice and add meat, salt, pepper, and additional seasonings
- once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer – covered – for 30-45 minutes until rice is cooked.
- tip: it’s hard to cook the rice just right – if it’s still uncooked, add a cup of water and bring back to a boil and then let it simmer again for 10 minutes.
- add scallions, parsley, lemon juice and shrimp and stir.
- cover and remove from heat and let residual heat cook the shrimp. let it sit for another 15-20 minutes.
- serve hot! enjoy!